Mice may be small, but the mess they leave behind can lead to significant health risks. Contaminated mouse droppings can harbor dangerous pathogens that pose health hazards to you, your family, or your pets. Cleaning up mouse droppings in your Greater Boston area residence requires careful attention and safety measures.
The Dangers of Contaminated Mouse Droppings
Mouse droppings can carry diseases such as Hantavirus and Salmonella, making the rodents a serious health concern. Therefore, proper cleaning and disinfection is essential to protect yourself and others from potential health risks spread by mice.
Equipment Needed to Clean Mouse Droppings
Before you begin to clean mouse droppings, you must first gather the following safety equipment and supplies to keep yourself safe:
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Disposable gloves
- Safety goggles or glasses
- Dust mask or respirator
- Disposable paper towels or cleaning cloths
- Trash bags
- Disinfectant cleaner (one with antibacterial properties)
- A vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter
How to Clean Mouse Droppings
Follow these steps to clean mouse droppings safely and effectively:
- Put on your disposable gloves, safety goggles, and a dust mask.
- Open windows and doors to ensure proper ventilation in the area.
- Remove any pets from the vicinity.
- Do not sweep or vacuum dry droppings, as this can release harmful particles into the air.
- Spray the droppings and any contaminated areas with disinfectant cleaner.
- Let the disinfectant sit for at least five minutes to ensure it kills any pathogens.
- Using disposable paper towels or cleaning cloths, carefully wipe up the droppings and dispose of them in a sealed trash bag.
- Use a vacuum cleaner equipped with a HEPA filter to thoroughly clean the area.
- Pay special attention to areas where droppings were present.
- After vacuuming, empty the vacuum bag or canister into a sealed trash bag and dispose of it properly.
- Reapply disinfectant cleaner to the entire area and wipe it down.
- Dispose of any cleaning materials, gloves, and masks used during the process in a sealed trash bag.
Post Cleaning Hygiene
- Thoroughly wash your hands with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds after removing your gloves and mask.
While cleaning mouse droppings is essential for your immediate safety, the best way to maintain a mouse-free property is to enlist the services of professionals who specialize in safe, non-toxic, and eco-friendly methods.
Professional Mice Removal Services for a Rodent-Free Property
Critter Control® of Boston is staffed by licensed and trained experts who understand the unique challenges of mice infestations in the Greater Boston area. If your property is overrun with invasive mice, then rely on our professional mice removal experts to permanently put an end to your infestation.
To schedule an inspection and receive a free estimate for our humane and efficient mice removal services, call Critter Control® of Boston today at 617-975-0440.